Halloween can pose a host of horrors for some pets. The tradition of children dressing up in scary costumes and coming to the door to collect candy can be very stressful for the family pet. The following is a list of hazards that pet owners should be aware of.
1. Loud and excessive noise created by trick-or-treaters can frighten your pet. Pet’s, especially those dogs that are easily excitable or react badly to strangers, should be kept away from the front door so as to prevent them from escaping into the street or from biting any of the trick-or-treaters.
2. Candy, especially chocolate, is toxic for animals if ingested in sufficient amounts and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart disturbances, and even death in certain dogs. Candy should be kept out of reach and young children need to be told not to share any of their candy with the dog.
3. Dressing up the dog in a costume can be very cute but owners should be aware of any costumes that use rubber bands to keep them in place. If the rubber bands are mistakenly left in place after the costume comes off they will quickly cut into the skin of the dog.
4. If you insist on bring your dog along during the trick-or-treat adventure then it is best to keep him/her on a very short leash. This will help you to better control your dog if other animals should approach in a threatening manner or if your pet should lunge toward a trick-or-treater passing by.
To avoid possible injuries to your pet and to others as well it would probably be best if you chose not to include your dog in this particular holiday event. If you suspect that your pet has consumed some chocolate please give your veterinarian or the Emergency Veterinary Clinic a call.